College Development Committee
Constituted as per G.O.(Ms) No. 177/87/H. Edn. dated 15/5/1987)
Extract of the Order:-
Read: 1. G.O. (Ms) No.48/86/H. Edn. Dated 22/02/1986
2. D.O. Letter NO.2721/86/Plg.Q dated 20-03-1987 from the Director of Collegiate Education.
As per the order read as first paper above; Government have accepted in principle the proposal or renovation of well-established old Government Colleges, by raising funds through Alumni Association, Parent Teacher Associations and others. As per the letter read as second paper above, the Director of Collegiate Education has forwarded the draft scheme for the implementation of the proposal.
Government have examined the draft scheme and they are pleased to approve the scheme appended to this Government order subject to the condition that the accounts maintained by the Principals of the colleges should be open for audit by the Government as and when required.
Scheme for the Development of well established Government Colleges
There is need to initiate special efforts to improve the facilities in some of the old reputed colleges in Kerala. There has to be well planned approach for this and it is proposed to have the planning and the implementation, with the active involvement of the public, on the following guidelines.
- Identification of Colleges :-
The identification of the institutions to be brought under the purview of this scheme will be made by Government from time to time.
- Constitution of Development Committee :-
- The Constitution of the Committee shall be as follows:-
- District Collector – Chairman
- Principal of the College- Secretary and Treasurer
- One teacher nominated by the College Council
- The Vice – President of P T A
- The President of the Alumni Association
- The Chairman of the College Union
- The Executive Engineer (Buildings)
- Four persons to be nominated by the Director of Collegiate Education from among eminent public men of arts/letters (preferably former teachers, old students or parents of students of the colleges)
- The Committee shall meet as frequently as may be necessary. In the absence of the Chairman, a member of the Committee may be nominated to preside over any meeting.
- The Committee shall prepare a plan for the development of the college with a view to improving the facilities available including construction/maintenance to be carried out during a period of five years. The five year plan shall be broken up into annual plans.
- The Committee shall also be responsible for the implementation of the schemes. To the extent possible, the Committee should follow the rules in Government regarding construction works, purchases etc. Construction works undertaken by the Committee should be certified as fit by the PWD. Furniture and other items purchased by the Committee should be brought in to the stock account as in the case of articles purchased with Government Funds.
- A copy of the minutes of every meeting of the committee shall be forwarded to the Director of Collegiate Education immediately after the meeting.
- The Committee shall have powers to accept donations from the public. The staffs of the college are also permitted to make collections towards the fund in the name of the “College Development Fund”.
- An amount equal to the funds raised by the Committee towards the college development fund will be given by the Government as grant. The grant will be paid taking into account the collections made up to the 31st of December every year.
- The request for grant shall be made by the Principal, through the Director, Collegiate Education, after the 31st December every year.
- The Principal should furnish a utilization certificate in respect of the grant disbursed, at the earliest, and in any case within one year of the withdrawal of the amount. If the money is not utilized within one year, the unutilized amount should be refunded.
- The Principal who is the Secretary of the Committee shall arrange to maintain proper accounts. All bank accounts should be operated by him. Receipts for contributions should also be given by the Principal or any person authorized by the Committee in this behalf.
College Development Committee Members
- Thrissur district collector
- P.K. Vijayan (Teacher’s representative)
- Vice President, P.T.A
- President, Student’s Alumini Association
- Chairman, College Union
- Executive Engineer (Building Division) Thrissur
- Dr. T. V. Salma
- Prof. P.N. Prakash
- Prof. T.V. Yatheendhradas